Cashew Sour Cream has really changed my vegan life. I would say it is mind-blowing. It is extremely easy to make, keeps well in the fridge, and it has 1001 uses.
What you need
(makes about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews or cashew bits
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 scant teaspoon apple cider vinegar
a pinch of salt - maybe about 1/4 teaspoon
Soak the cashews in warm water for as short as 15 minutes or as long as overnight. The longer they soak the creamier it will be -- but I confess I have made this many times without soaking. Not soaking or a shorter soak time just means your sour cream will have more 'texture'.
Make it!
Drain and rinse the cashews. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy. You may have to scrape down the sides a couple of times. Pour in a bowl, adjust the flavourings, et voila!
Use it!
- as a Vegan mayonaisse on sandwiches and salads
- add a clove of garlic for a lovely aioli
- on baked potatoes
- on perogies
- on burritos
- scooped into chili
- dolloped on soups
- to make cream gravies (like mushroom gravy, pictured below)
- in salad dressing
- to add creaminess to pasta sauces
- over vegetables
- with chopped spinach for spinach dip
- your choice!
- the only thing I am doubtful of is whether it can be subbed for dairy-based sour cream in baking
Just a few of the tasty things I've done with Cashew Cream
![]() |
| in a 'tuna-ish' Chickpea salad over greens |
![]() |
| Dolloped sloppily on sautéed vegetable cream soup |
on burritos with homemade beans, salsa, guacamole and homemade tortillas
![]() |
| in an eggless Chickpea-based Eggy Salad sandwich |













No comments:
Post a Comment